Saturday, April 11, 2009

So here we go...

Last month they reran our basic tests to make sure there weren't any changes in me or my husbands fertility health. Everything cleared except my thyroid again. Your blood should measure a thyroid (tsh) btwn a 1-4 and I was a 3.99 which is better than I have tested for in the past, but it was still too high to be doing fertility with. They referred me to a Endocrine Doc to do further tests and get my levels around a 1.00. Why I wasn't sent to one earlier bugs me but whatever, I can't dwell on it. I go to the Endo. doc and they ultrasound my thyroid. She finds lumps on my thyroid and sends me for more blood work. I really have never had anything majorly wrong with me before, so that did make me nervous. I didn't know what lumps meant, nor did the physician really answer my question as to what that would mean. I went back about 3 weeks ago for the results. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, a chronic thyroid disease, or autoimmune disease, that attacks your thyroid and causes scar tissue to form on your thyroid. If left untreated it causes a list of crazy issues, but if treated, you should be fine. The major issue that is of concern, is that it causes "increased frequency of miscarriages". So is this the cause of my fertility? Have I been getting pregnant and the fertilized egg can't attach? Who knows. I contacted my fertility doctor, who has assured me that if we can get my thyroid levels at a 1.00, and monitor it closely, it shouldn't interfere. Its only going to be a risk if I spike back up to a 3, 4 or more. For some reason, my response to all this was pure anger. I wasn't sad, I was pissed off. First of all, why hadn't this been diagnosed before. I was already at the point of having scar tissue, so I have had it for awhile. And second, IVF and miscarriages are unrelated, so if that is the cause of all of this, we could have a long road ahead. Meaning, IVF could get me pregnant but if my body doesn't want to keep it, than its not going to and IVF can't help that. But the fertility doc is optimistic that as long as my levels are good, it will work. So, I am trying to be optimistic. I stopped reading other people articles online about their multiple miscarriages with Hashi's disease b/c it was just making my mind wonder. I have to listen to my doctor over what I read on the internet. I think I am just trying to go through this experience with no expectations, that way if it works, great, but i it doesn't, I won't be let down again. Or maybe that is just what I am telling myself. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment